If you go to a gym or fitness center you are part of a community of people who gather to workout at the same location. Therefore you sometimes must deal with difficult or demanding people however there are cardinal rules of the gym you should always follow to keep your experience and the experience of others around you pleasurable.
1. Do not hog machines or weight stations – there is nothing worse than that guy that decides he needs to run for 2 hours when all of the treadmills are filled up or the person who sets up camp on the weight bench. If you know you are going to be awhile allow others to work in.
2. Do not hit on every woman who walks by. The ladies are there to work out too and they do not want to be harassed by every meat head in the gym.
3. Rack your weights – All of those signs asking you to rack your weights aren’t just there for aesthetic purposes. Having weights lying around can be a huge risk for injury and a real pain when you’re the one looking to add another 45 to your weight bar and some jerk decided to lay it on the ground across the room.
4. Wear deodorant – c’mon man if you don’t do this already then there may not be any hope for you. Gyms are confined spaces and when people sweat they often produce body odor. Be courteous to others around you and apply deodorant.
5. Wipe down machines after use – Unless you like to sit in other peoples sweat assume they feel the same way. Each gym has bottles of antiseptic spray located throughout just pick one up and wipe down your mess.
Stick to these rules and you will make sure to have a positive experience for you and everyone around you at the gym.