I love to eat & entertain which is one of the reasons I have made it my life’s journey to enjoy both without sacrificing or neglecting my health. For me there is nothing worse than the feeling of having to watch what I eat while at a dinner party. In the Latino culture we tend to fall into the ”not so healthy” meal trap, which is why I found it necessary to figure out ways to stay true to my roots without losing the flavor!
I like to share some of my favorite Latino dishes like my Chicken Ropa Vieja Recipe just for you …except a little bit healthier. After all, all we want to do is lose the fat…never the culture!
In honor of my Hispanic Heritage I am going to share one of those dishes…one of my many fav’s A Cuban staple, the all loving Ropa Vieja with of course a few changes to make it better.
Ropa Vieja is typically done with skirt steak. Since skirt steak can be quite fatty I've enhanced the dish by changing its main ingredient. I assure you taste will not be sacrificed! Your taste buds and waistline will be thanking me after you try this dish!
Chicken Ropa Vieja Recipe~
• 1 1/2 pounds of skinless chicken breast
• one can tomato sauce with onion and garlic
• one third cup of EVOO
• one onion chopped
• two garlic cloves chopped
• one green pepper chopped
• one can red peppers (pimiento morrones)
• one tbsp. salt
• two tbsp. cilantro
• one tsp. cumin
• one bay leaf
• In a saucepan bring salted water to a boil and cook chicken breast over medium heat for about 30 minutes or until fully cooked.
• Drain the water, let it cool and shred the chicken.
• In a skillet heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, and pepper. Mix until tender, then add the tomato sauce, cumin, and bay leaf.
• Add the shredded chicken and cook for another ten minutes stirring occasionally.
• Remove from heat, discard the bay leaf.
• Garnish with cilantro & pimientos
• Enjoy over Brown Rice preferably 🙂 Could also be enjoyed alone with a salad/veggies as well.
*Chicken Breast can also be substituted with Turkey breast.