Weight loss, for many, is an elusive goal that requires a combination of dietary changes, lifestyle habits, and exercise. Of the exercise component, full-body workouts have gained popularity due to their efficiency and effectiveness. A full body workout targets various muscle groups in one session, which not only increases calorie burn during the exercise but also promotes muscle building. Increased muscle mass, in turn, boosts your resting metabolic rate, helping you burn more calories even when you’re not exercising. Here’s a guide to a full body workout designed for losing weight:
Unlike split routines, where different muscle groups are worked on different days, full-body workouts target everything from your shoulders to your calves in one session. The benefits are manifold:
Here’s a sample full-body workout you can do 2-3 times a week for weight loss:
Warm-Up (5-10 minutes): Start with a light cardio exercise like brisk walking, jogging, or jumping jacks to get your heart rate up and muscles warmed up.
1. Squats (3 sets of 12-15 reps): Targeting the quads, glutes, and hamstrings, squats are excellent for burning calories. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, lower into a squat keeping knees behind toes, and return to the starting position.
2. Push-Ups (3 sets of 10-12 reps): Great for the chest, shoulders, and triceps. If standard push-ups are too challenging, start with knee push-ups. (full body workout for losing weight)
3. Bent Over Rows (3 sets of 12 reps): Using dumbbells, bend slightly at the waist and pull weights up towards your hip. This targets the back and biceps.
4. Lunges (3 sets of 10 reps on each leg): Works the legs and glutes. Take a step forward and lower into a lunge, ensuring your knee doesn’t go past your toes.
5. Plank (3 sets of 30 seconds): Engages the core, shoulders, and back. Maintain a straight line from head to heels. (full body workout for losing weight)
6. Deadlifts (3 sets of 12 reps): Using a barbell or dumbbells, this compound movement works the back, glutes, and hamstrings.
7. Overhead Press (3 sets of 12 reps): Using dumbbells, press weights from shoulder height to above your head. Works the shoulders and triceps.
Cool Down (5-10 minutes): Finish with stretching exercises to relax the muscles and improve flexibility.
Full-body workouts are an effective way to kick-start losing weight on your journey. They provide a comprehensive approach to fitness, ensuring you’re building strength, increasing flexibility, and burning calories. Combine this workout with a balanced diet and adequate rest, and you’ll be on your way to achieving your weight loss goals. Remember, always consult with a fitness professional or physician before beginning any new exercise regimen.
Stay up to date on the latest men’s health, fitness and lifestyle trends and tips.
Men’s Fit Club was started with the goal of empowering men to get the most out of their lives. This meant going beyond exercise and diet tips to really address the broad range of issues that men face on a daily basis – topics like recreation, finding love, sexual health and even sound fashion advice.
© COPYRIGHT MEN'S FIT CLUB 2023. All Rights Reserved