To gain muscle a person needs to be able to go the distance and see the process to the end, and sometimes that process can take a while. If you aren’t doing it right or you are too impatient your goal of gaining muscle can go slow or stop all together, making it seem like you’re running in circles. If this is you, it might be time to rethink and reassess your workout regimen to see if you are on the right track.
1. You’re Too Impatient – A big reason why you might not be gaining muscle, or at least seeing the results of it, is because you’re too impatient. For men who haven’t had a big exercise regimen prior to beginning the process the results at first are going to be unseen such as gaining strength, speed and endurance. Once your body adapts to the increased exercise it will then begin showing outward signs of gaining muscle.
2. You’re Aimless – Gaining muscle needs to be a structured process and if you started without a clear plan of attack and are aimlessly moving from one exercise to another you’re doing nothing, but wasting time. Sit down and create a plan of attack on what exercises you’ll be doing, how long, what equipment you’ll be using, etc. It might be smart to consult a trainer to get the best plan in motion.
3. You’re Focusing on Cardio Too much – Cardio is good, it gets the heart pumping and it works the body. However, for a man who is trying to gain muscle, too much cardio and not enough weight training is going to detract from you gaining muscle. If your cardio routine is over a third of your workout regimen cut it down and focus more on weight training.
4. You’re Not Eating Enough – To gain muscle your body needs to have an adequate supply of extra calories, proteins and fats. Without those essential things your body is lacking the necessary nutrients it needs to begin forming new muscles and building them up.
5. You’re Not Doing the Workout Right – If you are new to weight training you might not be doing the reps, sets and movements right and this can be one of the reasons why you aren’t seeing results in muscle gain. Consult a trainer on the proper way to do an exercise to make sure that all of your reps, sets and movements are giving you maximum results.