When it comes to your health, everyone is telling you about the latest health supplement fad. But there are some nutrients that it's just too hard to obtain naturally without eating vast amounts of food. So here are 10 simple health supplements your body needs regularly.
1. Vitamin C – Surprisingly, over half of all men don't get enough vitamin C. Vitamin C is a super antioxidant that fights free radical damage and help the body to produce collagen, which is important in ligaments and tendons.
2. Fish Oil – Omega-3 fatty acids are some of the most powerful nutrients in the world. Fish oil, particular the fatty tissues of cold water fish like salmon and mackerel, are essential, which means that the body is unable to make it. They reduce inflammation throughout the body and reduce your risk of diseases such as stroke, cardiovascular disease and autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Probiotics – Your intestines need good bacteria to help your body digest foods. Probiotics such as those found in yogurt contain beneficial intestinal flora that support the immune system and help the body deal with diarrhea, lactose intolerance and other digestive ailments.
4. Glucosamine – It's naturally produced in the body and helps to build cartilage and can help reduce the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
5. Acetyl L-Carnitine – Carnitines are antioxidants and this particular type, also called ALCAR, helps the body metabolize fat by increasing energy production in the mitochondria. It may also provide a great energy boost and prevent brain drain. It could help with depression and age-related mental decline.
6. Coenzyme Q-10 – The sudden deaths of Tim Russert and actor James Gandolfini have brought men's heart health to the forefront of cardiac health. More than half of middle-aged men will have some form of coronary artery disease but only 25 percent will be aware of it. Coenzyme Q-10 gives the heart energy and helps produce adenosine triphosphate, ATP, which is a major energy source for cells.
7. Saw Palmetto – As you get older, your prostate grows, which puts pressure on your bladder causing you to go to the bathroom 100 times a night. Saw palmetto is a natural remedy that protects the prostate from testosterone and shrinks it.
8. Vitamin D – This is a hormone that's present in almost every cell in your body. It's commonly known as the vitamin you need to help your bones get more calcium but it can also reduce depression symptoms, reduce your risk of colorectal cancer and lessen your heart attack risk.
9. EGCG – If you're looking for a natural way to lose weight, improve heart health and reduce your risk of cancer, then green tea is the way to go. It is rich in EGCG, an antioxidant that helps the body burn almost 20 percent more fat than exercise alone. If you're not into green tea, then there are plenty of supplements to use instead.
10. Lycopene – This potent antioxidant found in tomatoes, reduces the risk of prostate cancer.
One bonus supplement tip: beta carotene, vitamin A, not only is it an antioxidant but it's great for keeping eyes and skin healthy.